Let’s see, let’s see…once the clock struck midnight, my Official 30 Day Detox begun!
- Due to extreme exhaustion in general, I was out when my head hit the pillow at midnight, only to be awakened 7 hours later by the sound of chainsaws. Although the early morning gardeners outside my window did not stay for more than 5 minutes-it was an unwelcome alarm at 8:47 a.m. I had slept a full 7 hours but felt extremely sick with fatigue, my eye-burn level was around ‘7’ on a 1-10 scale. I decided I just couldn’t function unless I slept another hour or so. Well, well well…I woke up at 12:30 p.m.: clocking my slumber for the night at a mind-boggling 12 1/2 hours!!!!!! (Gasp!) And get this: I was still tired and felt like I could sleep until 2:30 p.m., but hey, got stuff to do!
- When I finally got up and started moving around, I drudged myself to the gym and ran on the treadmill for 15 min with a 5 min warm-up/cool-down. Nothing too traumatic and by the time I got back to my room, I felt lively, awake and light.
- For lunch, I consumed the following:
- 1 bowl of spinach, lettuce and 5 large tomato slices (mixed together)
- 1 bowl of cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and squash
- 1 bowl of mixed fruit (pineapple, melon, cantaloupe, watermelon)
- 1/2 bowl sliced cucumber
- 1 banana (not pictured)
- 1 glass of water
- I bought a gallon of water and have consumed 2 cups from the jug. At lunch, I drank 1 cup worth of water, and preceding/following my workout I consumed 3 cups total. I’m not yet at a liter (my daily goal), and will continue to drink water for the rest of the night. Overall, it was difficult to drink even the small glasses that I did, but I enjoyed not tasting that gross aftertaste of soft drinks and other fructose-heavy beverages that I typically consume.
*when I say “cup” in this instance, I mean a glass of about this size*
- I immediately felt more awake and lively following the workout and my lingering tiredness vanished. The healthy meal at lunch made me feel light, and overall really great for about 30 minutes. After that 30 minutes, a deep tiredness hit me much like if I had eat a big meal of fattening food and meat products. I felt weary and sluggish, but that only lasted for 30-40 minutes before I started to feel more normal. The past few hours, I have felt slightly (I’d say 40%) more energetic/good than I normally do.
- My hunger is pretty stable; hours following that meal, I felt I “could” eat more if I wanted to, but didn’t need to. I stocked up on sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, oat clusters and almonds for snack food in case I get hungry later on tonight.
- Overall, my mood is normal. I feel marginally more happy because my body feels pretty energetic and strong (like I could go out all night and be fine!)
- During lunch, when I smelled cooking food, the urge to eat it hit me with almost unbearable force, before subsiding just enough for me to resist. The look of cooked/processed food made my mouth water and the food I was eating seemed to taste more bland with every bite. I suppose this was all psychological, and I’m glad I did not give in.
Overall Physical Energy: (1-10): 7
Overall Sleepiness: (1-10): 4.5
Overall Mood: (1-10): 7
So far so good! Day 2 here I come!